The Vice President of Advancement and Corporate Engagement contributes as a member of the Executive Leadership Team and provides strategic leadership, advancement strategy and execution in support of the mission of the Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation (MHIF). This leader oversees major giving, planned giving, annual giving, corporate and foundation relations, prospect research, events, gift administration and records management. As a chief spokesperson representing MHIF’s development interests to constituencies, the Vice President of Advancement and Strategic Philanthropy maintains active relationships within MHIF, MHI, Allina, industry and the community. The leader contributes to the short and long-term organizational planning and strategy as a member of the MHIF Executive Leadership Team (ELT).
• Develop a vision, strategy and methods to cultivate and solicit new and existing major gift donors with clearly defined revenue goals. Develop and execute a long-term strategy that builds sustainability in giving which is in alignment with changing trends
• Plan and direct a comprehensive philanthropic development program, including Grateful Patients programs, annual giving, major gifts programs, planned gift programs and corporate and foundation relations.
• Collaborate with MHIF Marketing and Education to build and ensure an aligned engagement and relationship management strategy and cohesive messaging and brand with physicians, donors and industry.
• Collaborate with the Chairs and leaders of the current and emerging Science Centers to ensure that philanthropy and funding is integral to planning and execution.
Major Gift Execution
• Directly identify, cultivate, steward and actualize major gift donors and prospects at the highest level.
• Develop effective donor communications and cultivation strategies, including acknowledgement and recognition.
Funding Strategies, Partners and Grants
• Works closely with the CFO and leaders of research and of education to identify and file for grants that align strategically to MHIF
• Actively pursue, establish and maintain creative and strategic relationships and partnerships with funding partners
• Working closely with the Events Manager, oversee and ensure the success of all fundraising events and donor cultivation events, including planning, implementation, and follow up.
• Play a direct role with industry sponsors, physician partners and gala chairs.
Operations and Information Management
• With input from the Advancement team, set clear strategies, goals, tactics, and metrics. Monitor execution and the department scorecard. Evaluate the key levers that will effect change.
• Ensure staff resource and technology infrastructure to deliver on execution plans. Ensures that an effective information management system is in place and is well utilized
• Manage department budget and maintain a strong ROI
• Ensure creation and maintenance of robust fund development processes and systems.
• Maintain accountability and compliance standards for donors and funding sources.
Industry Collaborations, Community Partnerships and Business Development
• Devise strategies to optimize relationships and generate opportunities with industry partners
• Develop and manages relationships with professional organizations and community groups with adjacencies to the work of MHIF
• Maintains an active network, is a ready spokesperson and presenter
• Develop and maintain strong collaborative working relationships with other members of the Abbott Northwestern Hospital Foundation team and MHI
High Performing Team Leadership
• Inspire, lead, manage, coach, develop and retain a high-performing and engaged development staff that builds support for MHIF.
• Regularly communicate with the team and across MHIF
Board of Director Collaboration
• Build skills among the Board as Ambassadors in philanthropy and storytelling and work actively with them in relation to their networks
• Serve as co-staff liaison to the board’s Development and Marketing Committee.
This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer. The Vice President of Advancement and Corporate Engagement supervises several team members, including the Director of Advancement. The incumbent interacts regularly with the Development/Marketing Committee of the Board of Directors, the MHIF Executive Leadership Team, physician leaders and staff of the Minneapolis Heart Institute and serves as a liaison to the Allina and Abbott Northwestern Hospital Foundation development efforts.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or equivalent experience.
• Ten years of experience in philanthropy leadership and/or corporate engagement, with a proven track record in driving a comprehensive philanthropy operation with success in realizing strategies in annual giving, major gifts programs, planned gift programs and corporate and foundation relations.
• History of success in directly securing major gifts. Track record of success in securing principal and major gifts at the six-figure and seven-figure level.
• Proven leader with history of success in building high performing teams and effectively engaging, coaching, developing and retaining staff
• Has formed strategic partnerships and led engagement programs such as:
o Has built strategic partnerships within the healthcare industry and related organizations
o Has some experience working directly for or with medical device, life science and/or pharmaceutical organizations
o Has experience with key stakeholder or customer programs e.g. grateful patient programs
• Demonstrated experience in building consensus with key constituents, particularly among board leaders, executives, physicians, development staff, key donors and other stakeholders.
• Excellent communication and influence skills, with the ability to establish rapport and build trust with authenticity. Effective presentation and writing skills.
• Results orientation with a proven ability to reach aggressive revenue goals and keep momentum on department initiatives
• Operations and budget management experience including evaluating the ROI of specific fundraising programs. A good working knowledge of technology related to operations
• Demonstrates the highest level of integrity and ethics
• Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) certification or other major certification required