Phenomix Sciences is an early stage startup with a mission of providing healthcare solutions that will enable personalized management of chronic diseases with better efficacy, fewer side effects, and lower costs. Our approach is based on a phenotype-driven multi-level “omics” platform supported with deep learning technology to identify chronic disease sub-types in order to individualize therapy selection and enhance treatment outcomes. Our first product is a novel blood-based test expected to launch in early 2019 and will accurately predict the sub-type of obesity which can be used to guide the selection of an appropriate therapy or medical intervention.
The technical specialist will play an integral role in the startup of laboratory operations at Phenomix, by creating validating, and implementing new methods, policies, and procedures for metabolomic and genomic testing. The Technical Specialist will perform testing using high complexity laboratory developed methods according to stringent procedures and regulatory standards. This position will be responsible for technical oversight of equipment and test methods and requires excellent attention to detail, effective communication skills, and the ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
• In conjunction with other key personnel, develops strategies for validating new LCMS-based metabolomic testing and PCR-based genetic testing methods, including analytical, pre- and post- analytical phases
• Develops streamlined workflows and processes which are highly optimized, automated, and scalable for future capacity within all phases of analytical, pre- and post- analytical testing
• Performs assay R&D, analytical validations, and software verification testing, in accordance with CLIA and CAP requirements
• Develops written scientific or technical content for procedures, policies, training checklists, competency assessments, etc.
• Processes blood samples for chemical analysis to determine presence and/or quantity of genomic and metabolomic biomarkers
• Operates, calibrates, cleans/maintains, troubleshoots, equipment to exacting standards and ensures proper documentation thereof
• Establishes and monitors quality assurance programs or activities to ensure the accuracy of laboratory results
• Trains other laboratory personnel in all aspects of proper laboratory techniques, processes, procedures and quality assurance
• Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Science, or a related field is required
• ASCP certification, or eligibility for certification is preferred
• Minimum of 5 years of laboratory experience, at least 3 years with GCMS or LCMS platform testing or method development required; prior experience in a CLIA-laboratory preferred
• Working knowledge or prior experience with biological extractions (DNA or metabolite) and PCR and SNP genotyping techniques a plus
The position will be located in the Minneapolis or St. Paul metro area, with occasional travel for scientific meetings, technical training or conferences.
Schedule and Hours
This position will require the ability to work Monday – Friday during normal business hours with occasional evenings or weekends.
OSHA RISK FACTOR CATEGORY 1. The employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit; and use hands to finger, handle, or feel, and work with a computer. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and smell. The employee must occasionally lift up to 50 pounds and/or carry objects weighing up to 25 pounds. The employee is required to perform repetitive motions, including reaching above the head, typing and pipetting. Specific vision abilities required by the job include peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Color blindness testing is required for those with job specific duties requiring color discrimination.