TE Connectivity is looking for an experienced and dynamic Engineering leader to join its Medical team as the Head of Engineering and Product Development for the Interconnect Product Portfolio. The leader will report to the Global Director of Product Management, Interconnect Products, of TE Connectivity's Medical Business.
Interconnect is one of the 3 Product Line Portfolios within the Medical business unit of TE Connectivity with more than $220 million in revenue. We provide components and solutions to premier OEM customers in Imaging, energized catheter, and surgical markets.
The Director of Product Development will lead a global team of Engineers and Technical staff to develop innovative solutions for industry-leading medical device OEM customers. The leader will build a high-performing team and implement core processes that position TE as a Premier Tier-1 partner to medical device OEM customers.
- Execute the vision and strategy for the Interconnect Engineering organization, in alignment with business objectives. Drive Engineering functional excellence within the Interconnect highly projectized engineering environment.
- Lead a team of 130 product and manufacturing/process development engineers and technical staff responsible for the success of multiple regional and global New Product Development and Sustaining Engineering projects. Drive accountability in the organization to deliver results through TE’s product development process (LEANPD).
- Lead the development of platform and custom design solutions for future Interconnect products and the processes required to manufacture these products. Review and approve proposed engineering designs and subsequent product and process enhancements or changes.
- Partner with Operations to ensure a smooth transition and launch of development projects into production. Drive cost reductions in sustaining production through engineering design changes, process redesign, materials, automation (including digital factory), and technology updates.
- Act as a technical partner to commercial/sales teams to position TE as a technology leader, innovator, and partner to engineering, product development, and procurement groups at OEM customers.
- Prepare and facilitate technical briefings and meetings, including tactical and strategic planning with other functional areas or upper management.
- Implement and manage approved engineering budget and monitor actual expenses to ensure they fall within budget.
- Perform administrative and oversight functions in approving proposals, expenditures, enforcing HR policies.
- Providing training, coaching, and mentorship to team members. Drive a culture of creativity, innovation and continuous learning in the organization.
YEAR 1 SUCCESS FACTORS:
- Demonstrable knowledge and familiarity of TE’s medical products, capabilities, and manufacturing.
- NPI process gaps identified and closed per plan established with Global Engineering Director.
- Improvement of on-time performance for project committed gate dates.
- Mitigation of design errors found after Validation Phase.
- Customer recognition as a credible Technology Leader.
- Selected focus engineering competencies designated as a Center of Excellence.
- Talent assessments and upgrades completed.
- BS Engineering required. Preferred discipline: Mechanical, Material Science, Bio-Engineering, Chemistry, Electrical Engineering. Advanced Engineering Degree Preferred. MBA preferred.
- 15 years minimum combined engineering experience with minimum 5 years in product & process development and introduction. Experience in the medical surgical device industry and cable assembly production environments would be a plus.
- Proven success in Engineering leadership and proven people leader with minimum 10 years in combined direct reporting or matrix reporting leadership.
- Able to lead engineering excellence in the framework of a PMO driven, projectized environment.
- Able to attract and motivate top technical talent and skilled in people development.
- Strong DFM / DFA / Concurrent Development Experience. Familiarity with Design for Six Sigma, lean principles, quality engineering practices and principles. Six Sigma Black Belt a plus.
- Proficient in medical quality management systems and FDA and ISO 13485 regulatory requirements.
- Strong business acumen relative to project business case development and market analysis, capital management, P&L, financial statement analysis, and department budget management).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, strong influencing and motivational skills and the ability to build strong, credible relationships with multiple organization functions (inside and outside of TE).
- Capability to work in a fasted paced, dynamic global environment with multiple changing priorities.
- Exceptional written, verbal and presentation communication skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite as well as project management software programs.
- This position could require 25% travel both Domestic and International.